Saturday, November 22, 2008






In october I went to a gathering of craft/object makers, writers, collectors, curators and students.
 It was called Volume and over the weekend we heard from various speakers on the position of craft in the art world.  It was great to hear about what people are creating and to meet like-minded folk who appreciate and obsess over making stuff, like me.
The doors of mainstream galleries and museums are being opened wider to people like me who take crafts and skills, in my case learnt as a child, and turn them into objects that can be sold on a venue of high art.
Many of us learnt domestic hand crafts from mothers, fathers, grandparents and aunties.  I can't begin to explain how happy I am Mum thought these things were important and I guess, part of growing up in the 60's and 70's.  It's just what you did.
My thanks goes to those at the Hawkes Bay Art Gallery and Museum who made this event a success.  Part of the weekend was a Buy, Sell or Swap Craft Market.  It was fun and I have put up photos of some of my creations.  I came home with some treasures and my stock slightly depleted.  Yay!   
It was nice to be home again.  My garden is always very welcoming, weeds and all!

1 comment:

Amy said...

The gathering and craft market sound like a great way to spend a weekend.